Marine Medicals & Pilotage
Licensed Transport Canada Marine Medical Exams
At Mariners Medical Clinic, we specialize in occupational medicine in the port of Vancouver. We would be happy to conduct a Marine Medical Exam (sometimes called a Seafarer’s Medical) for you or an employee.
Licensed & Experienced:
- We are licensed by Transport Canada to grant Marine Medical Certificates.
- Over 40 years experience with sailors.
Comprehensive All-In-One Service:
- Our medical includes a medical history, physical examination, colour vision and hearing tests, and a diabetes/kidney check. All under one roof!
- We provide Transport Canada with all required information, expediting the license validation process and minimizing hassle. No need for referrals or family doctors!
Convenience for our Clients:
- Same or next-day appointments.
- On-site examinations for multiple employees anywhere in the Greater Vancouver Area.
- Competitive rates and discounts for students studying towards Marine certification.
Get back on the water! Please call the office to make an appointment.
You must bring the following to your appointment:
Completion of the MME grants you a Marine Medical Certificate. This document proves you meet the required medical and physical standards to work aboard marine vessels under Canadian law.
If you are deemed fit, we issue a 6-month provisional certification. The full validity of your Marine Medical Certification will depend on Transport Canada’s review of your medical. In most cases, you will be issued a certificate that is valid for up to 5 years for domestic voyages or 2 years for international voyages. However, if you’re deemed fit with limitations due to health issues, your certificate may be valid for a shorter period.
For the most detailed and up-to-date information, visit the government’s website, which can be found here.
Yes. Individuals seeking a Seafarer Medical Fitness Certificate (ENG1) for employment on vessels in the UK and EU may fulfill this requirement by completing a Transport Canada Marine Medical. It is considered equivalent and holds validity for a duration of 2 years. See here.